Zermatt, the snow and ski paradise
Zermatt is heaven for snow lovers. There are pistes for beginners, experts and everyone in between.
Here in Europe’s highest-altitude ski area, snow is guaranteed 365 days a year. For relaxation: winter hiking paths and snowshoe trails with views of the snowy Matterhorn.
150 Years Since the First Ascent of the Matterhorn
The Matterhorn celebrated in 2015. 150 years ago, on 14 July 1865, the first people stood on the summit.
This is what is being celebrated – with the reopening of the Hörnlihütte, the Open-Air Theatre, an Epoch Week in July and many, many other festivities. There are already 22 km of the best piste and snow conditions, and the Zermatt Bergbahnen are preparing further pistes at full speed.
In the Matterhorn glacier paradise ski area, the best snow conditions are already guaranteed for fun on skis. From Trockener Steg (2,939 m), lifts go up to Furggsattel at 3,365 m or to Plateau Rosa at 3,745 m.
The cable replacement on the Trockener Steg to Matterhorn glacier paradise cable car continues until 21 November 2014.
Other winter activities
- 38 mountain restaurants
- Dozens of village bars & nightclubs, 100 restaurants
- A dozen indoor swimming pools
- 2 natural ice rinks – 1 artificial ice rink
- 2 indoor tennis courts, squash, gym & fitness centre
- Pool/billiard centre – 9 pin bowling
- 30 km winter footpaths for non-skiers, Sleigh rides
- Mountaineering expeditions by ski (incl. the famous Haute-Route)
- Heli-skiing (from 4200m) & scenic helicopter flights
- Paragliding school and tandem ‘taxi’ flights
- Top Elevation: 3820m/12,500 ft
- Base (Village) Elevation:1620m/5,250 ft
- Vertical drop: 2200m/7,250ft
- Marked Pistes: 245 km/153 ml:
- Beginner 23%
- Intermediate 44%
- Expert 33%
- Longest Piste: 13 km/8 ml
- 73 Mountain Railways and Ski-lifts
- 1 rack railway with 18 railcars
- 1 high speed underground cable railway
- 17 aerial cable cars/trams
- 6 gondola ski lifts
- 14 chair lifts
- 34 surface ski lifts
- Uphill capacity: 64500 p/h
- Uphill capacity from Zermatt: 7200 p/h
- Zermatt snow making – 35 km
- Snowboard facilities: 2 parks and 2 halfpipes